Introduction: Written Hearing Cocerning the Nattivak (Qikiqtarjuaq) Hunter and Trappers Organization's Request to Fish the 100 Tonne Qikiqtaaluk Regional Exploratory Allocation for Turbot (Greenland Halibut) outside the Nunavut Settlement Area
THE PURPOSE of this NWMB written hearing is to consider whether Nattivak Hunters and Trappers Organization (HTO) will be permitted to transfer all or part of the 100 tonne Qikiqtaaluk regional exploratory allocation of turbot (Greenland halibut) from inside to outside the Nunavut Settlement Area in Division 0A for the purposes of fishing in the summer/fall of 2013.
Nattivak Hunters and Trappers Organization (HTO) has filed a Proposal for Decision with the NWMB, and is seeking a decision on approval of their request. The Nattivak HTO Proposal, along with other documents comprising the best available information to date, is available for review or download from the NWMB’s website.
1. The NWMB shall provide notice to the public at least 30 days prior to the deadline for filing hearing submissions.
2.Any interested person or body may file with the NWMB a written submission in response to the Nattivak HTO’s proposal - duly translated into Inuktitut or English as the case may be – by no later than 5:00 p.m. Iqaluit time on July 28th 2013.
3. Unless persuasive written and translated reasons are provided to the NWMB for late filing, the NWMB will not consider materials for this hearing that are not filed on time.
4. The requirement for translation of submissions filed with the NWMB does not apply to individual members of the public.
5. The NWMB shall ensure that all materials filed with it or produced by it are made publicly available, subject to relevant confidentiality or privacy concerns.
6. Any representative or agent of the Government of Canada or Government of Nunavut, any Hunters and Trappers Organization or Regional Wildlife Organization and any Inuk shall be accorded the status of party for the hearing.
7. Any other person or body wishing to be named as a party by the NWMB shall make an appropriate request in writing to the NWMB.