THE PURPOSE of this Nunavut Wildlife Management Board (NWMB or Board) public hearing is to publicly consider the proposed modification to the Total Allowable Harvest for the M’Clintock Channel polar bear subpopulation from 3 to 18 bears.
The Kitikmeot Regional Wildlife Board has filed, in Inuktitut and English, a request for NWMB decision regarding a Proposal to increase the Total Allowable Harvest of M’Clintock Channel polar bear from 3 to 18 bears. The Kitikmeot Regional Wildlife Board Proposal, along with other documents comprising the best available information to date, is available for review or download from the NWMB’s website (www.nwmb.com).
The NWMB is extending an invitation to the public to provide written submissions and supporting documentation concerning the level of regional total allowable harvest for the M’Clintock Channel polar bear sub-population. Â Written submissions and supporting documentation must be filed with the NWMB by no later than 5:00 p.m. (Iqaluit time) on May 26th, 2014. To receive more information about filing submissions or to receive information about attendance as a member of the public or as a party at the hearing, please contact the NWMB (Tel: 867-975-7300, E-mail: ).
1. The hearing shall be open to the public, with notice provided to the public at least 60 days prior to the commencement of the hearing. Part of the hearing may be conducted in camera, where the NWMB considers that confidential or sensitive matters may be disclosed or discussed.
2. Any interested person or body may file with the NWMB a written submission and supporting documentation in response to the “Proposal for Decision” – duly translated into Inuktitut or English as the case may be – by no later than 5:00 p.m. on May 26th, 2014.
3. TheÂ requirementÂ forÂ translationÂ ofÂ submissions and supporting documentation filedÂ withÂ the NWMBÂ doesÂ not apply to individual members of the public.
4.Â For all others who file supporting documentation with the NWMB, the requirement for translation does not apply to documents over ten (10) pages in length, provided that each supporting document that is not translated is accompanied by a concise, translated summary.
5.Â Unless persuasive written and translated reasons are provided to the NWMB for late filing, the NWMB will not consider materials for this hearing that are not filed on time.
6. The NWMB shall ensure that all materials filed with it or produced by it are made publicly available, subject to relevant confidentiality or privacy concerns.
7. The NWMB shall provide simultaneous English and Inuktitut translation at the hearing, to the extent reasonably possible.
8. A quorum of NWMB members shall be present at the hearing.
9.Â Any representative or agent of the Government of Nunavut, any Hunters and Trappers Organization or Regional Wildlife Organization, and any lnuk, shall be accorded the status of party at the hearing.
10. Any other person or body wishing to be named as a party by the NWMB shall make an appropriate request in writing to the NWMB.
11. All parties and other participants at the hearing are required to treat one another and the NWMB with respect.
12. The NWMB shall provide a reasonable opportunity for oral presentations from each of the parties at the hearing by their choice of official, expert or counsel.
13. Any member of the NWMB, the NWMB's Director of Wildlife Management or the NWMB's legal counsel may ask relevant questions of any party at the hearing.
14. Any party may ask relevant questions of any other party at the hearing.
15. The NWMB shall provide members of the public in attendance at the hearing a reasonable opportunity to make statements and to ask questions of the parties and the NWMB.
16. Every person at the hearing wishing to speak or ask a question shall raise his or her hand, and shall only speak once the NWMB Chairperson has recognized him or her.
17. The NWMB Chairperson reserves the right to place reasonable time limits on presentations, statements and questions.
18. The NWMB shall make an audio recording of the hearing available upon request.