THE PURPOSE of this NWMB hearing is to publicly consider proposed modifications to the current level of Total Allowable Harvest for the Baffin Bay Polar Bear Population in the Nunavut Settlement Area.
The Government of Nunavut’s Department of Environment has filed – in Inuktitut and English - a Proposal for NWMB Decision (DOE Proposal) with the NWMB, seeking a management response to its conservation concerns with respect to the current level of Total Allowable Harvest for the Baffin Bay Polar Bear Population.
The hearing is scheduled to take place in Mittimatalik/Pond Inlet, Nunavut, on April 22nd and 23rd 2008, each day from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. The NWMB may also hold one or more evening sessions, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- The hearing shall be open to the public, with notice provided to the public at least 30 days prior to the commencement of the hearing. Part of the hearing may be conducted in camera, where the NWMB considers that confidential or sensitive matters may be disclosed or discussed.
- Any interested person or body may file with the NWMB a written submission in response to the DOE Proposal, or otherwise regarding conservation concerns with the current level of Total Allowable Harvest for the Baffin Bay Polar Bear Population – duly translated into Inuktitut or English as the case may be – by no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 11th 2008.
- The requirement for translation of submissions filed with the NWMB does not apply to individual members of the public.
- The NWMB shall ensure that all materials filed with it or produced by it are made publicly available, subject to relevant confidentiality or privacy concerns.
- The NWMB shall provide simultaneous English and Inuktitut translation at the hearing, to the extent reasonably possible.
- A quorum of NWMB members shall be present at the hearing.Any representative or agent of the Government of Canada or Government of Nunavut, any Hunters and Trappers Organization or Regional Wildlife Organization, any Inuk, and any other person or body whom the NWMB considers appropriate, shall be accorded the status of party at the hearing.
- Any other person or body wishing to be named as a party by the NWMB shall make an appropriate request in writing to the NWMB.
- All parties and other participants at the hearing are required to treat one another and the NWMB with respect.
- The NWMB shall provide a reasonable opportunity for oral presentations from each of the parties at the hearing by their choice of official, expert or counsel.
- Any member of the NWMB, the NWMB’s Director of Wildlife or the NWMB’s legal counsel may ask relevant questions of any party at the hearing.
- Any party may ask relevant questions of any other party at the hearing.
- The NWMB shall provide members of the public in attendance at the hearing a reasonable opportunity to make statements and to ask questions of the parties and the NWMB.
- Every person at the hearing wishing to speak or ask a question shall raise his or her hand, and shall only speak once the NWMB Chairperson has recognized him or her.
- The NWMB Chairperson reserves the right to place reasonable time limits on presentations, statements and questions.
- The NWMB shall make an audio recording of the hearing available upon request.
NUNAVUT WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT BOARD AGENDA: TAH for the Baffin Bay Polar Bear Population Pond Inlet: Apr 22, 2008 — Apr 23, 2008
DAY ONE: April 22nd 2008
Day Two: April 23rd 2008