NWMB-NMRWB Joint Written Public Hearing to consider the 2019/20 Total Allowable Catch levels for Northern and Striped shrimp in the Western and Eastern Assessment Zone
March 22, 2019
THE PURPOSE of this Nunavut Wildlife Management Board (NWMB) and Nunavik Marine Region Wildlife Board (NMRWB) joint written public hearing is to consider Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s Proposal for Decision to the Boards (Proposal) seeking recommendations and decisions on the 2019/20 total allowable catch levels for Northern and Striped shrimp in the Eastern and Western Assessment Zones. The Proposal also requests decisions from NWMB and NMRWB about the sharing arrangements for shrimp between management units in the Nunavut Settlement Area and the Nunavik Marine Region. The Proposal, along with other documents comprising the best available information to date, is available for review or download from the NWMB’s website (www.nwmb.com).
ᒫᑦᓯ 22, 2019
ᐊᑑᑎᒋᔭᖓ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᖏᑦ (ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ) ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᓄᓇᕕᒃᒥ ᑕᕆᐅᕐᒥᐅᑕᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᖏᑦ (ᓄᓇᕕᒃᒥ ᑕᕆᐅᕐᒥᐅᑕᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ) ᑲᑐᔾᔭᒥᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑎᒍᑦ ᑭᒃᑯᓕᒫᓂᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᑲᒪᒋᓗᒋᑦ ᐃᒪᕐᒥᐅᑕᓕᕆᔩᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑎᖓᑦ ᐃᓱᒪᓕᐅᕈᒻᒥᒃ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᓄᑦ (ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑦ) ᐱᒐᓱᐊᕐᑐᑎᒃ ᐊᑐᓕᖁᔭᓂᒃ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᓱᒪᓕᐅᕈᑎᓂᒃ ᐱᓪᓗᒋᑦ 2019/20 ᑲᑎᑦᑐᒋᑦ ᐊᔪᙱᑕᑦ ᐱᔭᐅᓂᕐᒥᒃ ᖃᓄᐃᓪᓗᐊᕐᓂᖏᑦ ᒥᑭᔫᑕᐅᓂᕐᓴᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᖏᔫᑕᐅᓂᕐᓴᑦ ᑭᖑᑉᐸᐃᑦ ᒫᓂ ᑲᓇᓐᓇᖓᓂ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐱᖓᓐᓇᖓᓂ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕐᕖᑦ ᓇᓕᖏᓐᓂ. ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑦ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᕈᑕᐅᒻᒥᔪᖅ ᐃᓱᒪᓕᐅᕈᑎᓂᒃ ᐅᕙᙵᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᓄᓇᕕᒃᒥ ᑕᕆᐅᕐᒥᐅᑕᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᐱᓪᓗᒋᑦ ᐊᒥᖅᑳᕈᑎᓄᑦ ᐊᕿᑦᓯᒪᒍᑏᑦ ᑭᖑᑉᐸᓐᓂᒃ ᑕᒪᒃᑯᓇᓂ ᐊᐅᓚᑦᓯᒡᕕᐃᐅᔪᓂ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ ᓄᓇᑖᖑᓯᒪᔫᑉ ᓇᓛᓂ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᓄᓇᕕᒃ ᑕᕆᐅᖓᑕ ᓇᓛᓂ. ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑦ, ᐃᓚᖃᕐᑐᓂ ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᐱᑕᖃᕈᑕᐅᔪᓂᒃ ᓈᒻᒪᓂᕐᐹᓂᒃ ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓂᒃ ᑐᓴᕋᑦᓴᓂᒃ ᐅᓪᓗᒥᒧᑦ, ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᕗᑦ ᕿᒥᒡᕈᔭᐅᒍᓐᓇᕐᑐᑎᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐱᔭᐅᒍᓐᓇᕐᑐᑎᒃ ᐅᕙᙵᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑦ ᐊᓚᒃᑲᐅᒪᒡᕕᖓᑦ (www.nwmb.com).
- The NWMB shall provide notice to the public at least sixty (60) days prior to the deadline for filing hearing submissions.
- Any interested person or body may file with the NWMB a written submission and supporting documentation in response to Fisheries and Oceans Canada Proposal, or otherwise regarding the proposed NWMB-NMRWB joint written public hearing to consider the 2019/20 total allowable catch levels for Northern and Striped Shrimp by no later than 5:00 p.m. (Iqaluit time) on May 15, 2019.
- Unless persuasive written and translated reasons are provided to the NWMB for late filing, the NWMB will not consider materials for this hearing that are not filed on time.
- The requirement for translation of submissions and supporting documentation filed with the NWMB does not apply to individual members of the public.
- For all others who file supporting documentation with the NWMB, the requirement for translation does not apply to such documents over ten (10) pages in length, as long as each supporting document that is not translated is accompanied by a concise, translated summary (English and Inuktut) at least two (2) pages in length.
- The NWMB shall ensure that all materials filed with it or produced by it are made publicly available, subject to relevant confidentiality or privacy concerns.
- Any representative or agent of the Government of Canada or Government of Nunavut, any Hunters and Trappers Organization or Regional Wildlife Organization and any Inuk shall be accorded the status of party for the hearing.
- Unless invited by the NWMB to be a party, any other person or body wishing to be named as a party by the NWMB shall make an appropriate request in writing to the NWMB.
 “Supporting documentation” refers to one or more studies, articles, opinions or other documents separate from a person’s or organization’s written submission, filed as additional evidence and/or argument in support of that person’s or organization’s submission.
- ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᑐᓴᕐᑎᑦᓯᒍᑎᓂᒃ ᑭᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓂᒃ ᑐᖔᓂᐅᙱᑦᑐᖅ 60 ᐅᓪᓗᓂᒃ ᓯᕗᕐᖓᒍᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᓯᒪᒡᕕᐅᒋᐊᓕᐅᑉ ᑐᓂᓯᓂᕐᒥᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃ.
- ᑭᓇᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᖃᐅᔨᒍᒪᔪᖅ ᐃᓄᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᒍᓐᓇᕐᐳᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᑲᔪᕈᑎᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓂᒃ ᑭᐅᔾᔪᑎᓂᒃ ᐅᑯᓄᖓ ᐃᒪᕐᒥᐅᑕᓕᕆᔩᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑎᖓᑦ, ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᓯᐊᒍᑦ ᐱᔾᔪᑎᓕᓐᓂᒃ ᐃᓱᒪᒋᔭᒧᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ−ᓄᓇᕕᒃᒥ ᑕᕆᐅᕐᒥᐅᑕᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᑐᔾᔭᖅ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑎᒍᑦ ᑭᒃᑯᓕᒫᓂᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᖏᑦ ᑲᒪᒋᓗᒋᑦ 2019/20 ᑲᑎᑦᑐᒋᑦ ᐊᔪᙱᑕᑦ ᐱᔭᐅᓂᕐᒥᒃ ᖃᓄᐃᓗᐊᕐᓂᖏᑦ ᒥᑭᔫᑕᐅᓂᕐᓴᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᖏᔫᑕᐅᓂᕐᓴᑦ ᑭᖑᑉᐸᐃᑦ ᑎᑭᙱᓂᖓᓂ 5:00 ᐅᓐᓄᓴᒃᑯᑦ (ᐃᖃᓗᐃᑦ ᓯᕿᙳᔭᖓᑐᑦ) ᐅᓇ ᒪᐃ 15, 2019.
- ᐃᒪᐃᙱᑉᐸᑦ ᓱᓕᔪᕆᔭᐅᓕᕈᓐᓇᕐᑐᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐱᔾᔪᑕᐅᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᑭᖑᕙᕐᑐᓂᒃ ᑐᓂᓯᓂᕐᒥᒃ, ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᑲᒪᒋᓛᖏᑕᖏᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑕᒡᕙᓂ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ ᑐᓂᔭᐅᙱᑉᐸᑕ ᑭᖑᕙᕋᑎᒃ.
- ᐱᑕᖃᕆᐊᖃᕐᓂᖏᑦ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᑲᔪᕈᑏᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᐊᑑᑎᖃᙱᑦᑐᖅ ᐃᓄᑐᐊᓄᑦ ᑭᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓄᑦ.
- ᐊᓯᓕᒫᖏᓐᓂ ᑐᓂᓯᔪᓂ ᐃᑲᔪᕈᑎᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᐅᕗᖓ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ, ᐱᑕᖃᕆᐊᖃᕐᓂᖏᑦ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐊᑐᙱᑦᑐᖅ ᑕᐃᒪᐃᑦᑐᓄᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᓄᑦ ᐊᒥᓲᓂᕐᓴᓄᑦ ᖁᓕᓂᒃ (10) ᒪᑉᐱᕐᑐᒐᕐᓂᒃ ᑕᑭᓂᖏᑦ, ᐃᒪᐃᑐᐊᕐᐸᑦ ᐊᑐᓂᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᕈᑏᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑐᑭᓗᐅᕐᑕᐅᒪᙱᑦᑐᑦ ᐃᓚᖃᕐᐸᑕ ᓱᓕᔪᓂᒃ, ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᓇᐃᓈᕈᑎᓂᒃ (ᖃᓪᓗᓈᑎᑐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ) ᒪᒡᕉᓗᒋᑦ (2) ᒪᑉᐱᕐᑐᒑᒃ ᑕᑭᓂᖏᑦ.
- ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᐃᑉᐱᒍᓱᓐᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᐃᒫᒃ ᐃᓘᓐᓇᑎᒃ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᑦ ᑕᒡᕗᖓ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᑕᖏᑦ ᑖᒃᑯᐊ ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᒐᓗᐊᕐᒪᖔᑕ ᑭᒃᑯᓕᒫᓄᑦ, ᐃᓱᒪᒋᓗᒋᑦ ᐊᑐᕐᑐᑦ ᒪᐅᖓᑐᐃᓐᓈᕆᐊᖃᙱᒍᑏᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑲᙳᓇᕐᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐃᓱᒫᓗᒍᑏᑦ.
- ᓇᓪᓕᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᑭᒡᒐᐅᔪᖅ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑎ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑯᓐᓄᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑯᓐᓄᑦ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ, ᓇᓪᓕᐊᓐᓄᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᐊᖑᓇᓱᒃᑏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᒥᑭᒋᐊᕐᓂᐊᕐᑏᑦ ᑎᒥᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᕕᑦᑐᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔩᑦ ᑎᒥᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑭᓇᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᒧᑦ ᐃᓄᒻᒧᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᐅᓂᐊᕐᐳᖅ ᐱᐅᓯᓕᒻᒥᒃ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᐅᒋᐊᖓ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ.
- ᐃᒪᐃᙱᑉᐸᑦ ᖃᐃᖁᔭᐅᒪᓗᓂ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᐅᓂᕐᒥᒃ, ᑭᓇᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᐃᓄᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᑕᐃᔭᐅᒍᒪᒍᓂ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᐅᒋᐊᒥᒃ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᒋᐊᓕᒃ ᓈᒻᒪᑦᑐᒥᒃ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᒻᒥᒃ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ.
 “ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕈᑏᑦ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑦ” ᐅᖃᐅᓯᓕᒃ ᐊᑕᐅᓯᕐᒥᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᒥᓲᓂᕐᓴᓂᒃ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕈᑎᒥᓂᕐᓂᒃ, ᑎᑎᕋᕐᑕᐅᒪᔪᓂᒃ, ᐃᓱᒪᒍᑕᐅᔪᓂᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓂᒃ ᐃᒻᒥᒃᑰᕐᑐᓂᒃ ᐃᓅᑉ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔭᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃ, ᑐᓂᔭᓂᒃ ᐃᓚᐅᑎᑕᐅᓪᓗᑎᒃ ᓇᓗᓇᙱᒍᑎᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᐃᕙᒍᑎᓄᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕐᑐᒋᑦ ᑖᑦᓱᒪ ᐃᓅᑉ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᖏᓐᓄᑦ.