Written Public Hearing to consider the approval of the Recovery Strategy and Management Plan for the Red Knot in Canada under the federal Species at Risk Act
June 23rd 2017
THE PURPOSE of this Nunavut Wildlife Management Board (NWMB or Board) written public hearing is to consider approval of the Recovery Strategy and Management Plan for the Red Knot (Calidris canutus) in Canada under the federal Species at Risk Act.
Environment and Climate Change Canada – Canadian Wildlife Service has filed a Proposal for NWMB Decision (Proposal), seeking a decision on the approval of the Recovery Strategy and Management Plan for the Red Knot (Calidris canutus) in Canada under the federal Species at Risk Act. The Proposal, along with other documents comprising the best available information to date, is available for review or download from the NWMB’s website (www.nwmb.com).
ᔫᓂ 23, 2017
ᐊᑑᑎᒋᔭᖓ ᐅᑯᐊ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᖏᑦ (ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔩᑦ) ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑎᒍᑦ ᑭᒃᑯᓕᒫᓂᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᑲᒪᒋᓗᒋᑦ ᐊᖏᕈᑏᑦ ᐅᑯᓂᖓ ᐅᑎᕐᔫᒥᑎᑦᓯᒐᓱᐊᕐᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᑲᒪᒍᑏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᐅᓚᑦᓯᓂᕐᕿᒧᑦ ᐸᕐᓇᒍᑏᑦ ᓯᔾᔭᕆᐊᓂᒃ (Calidris canutus) ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐊᑖᒍᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑐᖃᒃᑯᓐᓂ ᐆᒪᔪᕐᓄᑦ ᐊᑦᑕᓇᕐᑐᒦᑦᑐᓄᑦ ᒪᓕᒐᕐᔪᐊᖅ.
ᐅᕙᑎᓕᕆᔩᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᓯᓚᐅᕐ ᐊᓯᔾᔨᕐᓂᖓᓂᒃ ᑲᒪᔩᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ - ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᓯᒪᓕᕐᒪᑕ ᐃᒪᐃᑐᒥᒃ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᐃᓱᒪᓕᐅᕈᑎᖓᓂᒃ (ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑦ), ᐱᒐᓱᐊᕐᑐᑦ ᐃᓱᒪᓕᐅᕈᒻᒥᒃ ᐊᖏᕐᑕᐅᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐅᑯᐊ ᐅᑎᕐᔫᒥᑎᑦᓯᒐᓱᐊᕐᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᑲᒪᒍᑏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᐅᓚᑦᓯᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐸᕐᓇᒍᑏᑦ ᓯᔾᔭᕆᐊᓂᒃ (Calidris canutus) ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐊᑖᒍᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑐᖃᒃᑯᓐᓂ ᐆᒪᔪᕐᓄᑦ ᐊᑦᑕᓇᕐᑐᒦᑦᑐᓄᑦ ᒪᓕᒐᕐᔪᐊᖅ. ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑦ, ᐃᓚᖃᕐᑐᓂ ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᐱᑕᖃᕈᑕᓂᒃ ᓈᒻᒪᓂᕐᐹᓂᒃ ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓂᒃ ᑐᓴᕋᑦᓴᓂᒃ ᐅᓪᓗᒥᒧᑦ, ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᕗᑦ ᕿᒥᒡᕈᔭᐅᒍᓐᓇᕐᑐᑎᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐱᔭᐅᒍᓐᓇᕐᑐᑎᒃ ᐅᕙᖖᒐᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑦ ᐊᓚᒃᑲᐅᒪᒡᕕᖓᑦ (www.nwmb.com).
- The NWMB shall provide notice to the public at least sixty (60) days prior to the deadline for filing hearing submissions.
- Any interested person or body may file with the NWMB a written submission and supporting documentationin response to Environment and Climate Change Canada – Canadian Wildlife Service’s Proposal, or otherwise regarding the proposed Recovery Strategy and Management Plan for the Red Knot (Calidris canutus) in Canada under the federal Species at Risk Act – duly translated into Inuktitut or English as the case may be – by no later than 5:00 p.m. (Iqaluit time) on August 4th, 2017..
3. Unless persuasive written and translated reasons are provided to the NWMB for late filing, the NWMB will not consider materials for this hearing that are not filed on time.
4. The requirement for translation of submissions and supporting documentation filed with the NWMB does not apply to individual members of the public.
5. For all others who file supporting documentation with the NWMB, the requirement for translation does not apply to such documents over ten (10) pages in length, as long as each supporting document that is not translated is accompanied by a concise, translated summary (English and Inuktitut) at least two (2) pages in length.
6. The NWMB shall ensure that all materials filed with it or produced by it are made publicly available, subject to relevant confidentiality or privacy concerns.
7. Any representative or agent of the Government of Canada or Government of Nunavut, any Hunters and Trappers Organization or Regional Wildlife Organization and any Inuk shall be accorded the status of party for the hearing.
8. Unless invited by the NWMB to be a party, any other person or body wishing to be named as a party by the NWMB shall make an appropriate request in writing to the NWMB.
 “Supporting documentation” refers to one or more studies, articles, opinions or other documents separate from a person’s or organization’s written submission, filed as additional evidence and/or argument in support of that person’s or organization’s submission.
- ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᑐᓴᕐᑎᑦᓯᒍᒻᒥᒃ ᑭᒃᑯᓕᒫᓂᒃ ᑐᖔᓂᐅᙱᑦᑐᖅ ᐊᕙᑎᑦ ᐱᖓᓱᐃᑦ (60) ᐅᓪᓗᐃᑦ ᓯᕗᕐᖓᒍᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᓯᒪᒡᕕᐅᒋᐊᓕᐅᑉ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃ.
- ᑭᓇᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᖃᐅᔨᒪᒍᒪᔪᖅ ᐃᓄᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᒍᓐᓇᕐᐳᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕈᑎᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓂᒃ ᑭᐅᔾᔪᑎᓂᒃ ᐅᑯᐊ ᐊᕙᑎᓕᕆᔩᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᓯᓚᐅᑉ ᐊᓯᔾᔨᕐᓂᖓᓂᒃ ᑲᒪᔩᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ - ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑎᖓᑦ, ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᓯᐊᒍᑦ ᐱᔾᔪᑎᓕᓐᓂᒃ ᐃᓱᒪᒋᔭᑦ ᐅᑎᕐᔫᒥᑎᑦᓯᒐᓱᐊᕐᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᑲᒪᒍᑏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᐅᓚᑦᓯᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐸᕐᓇᒍᑏᑦ ᓯᔾᔭᕆᐊᓂᒃ (Calidris canutus) ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐊᑖᒍᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑐᖃᒃᑯᓐᓂ ᐆᒪᔪᕐᓄᑦ ᐊᑦᑕᓇᕐᑐᒦᑦᑐᓄᑦ ᒪᓕᒐᕐᔪᐊᖅ - ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᑦᓯᐊᕐᓗᒋᑦ ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᖃᓪᓗᓈᑎᑐᑦ ᓇᓪᓕᐅᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ - ᑎᑭᖖᒋᓐᓂᖓᓂ 5:00 ᐅᓪᓗᒃᑯᑦ (ᐃᖃᓗᐃᑦ ᓯᕿᖖᒍᔭᖓᑐᑦ) ᐅᓇ ᐊᐅᒡᒍᔅᑎ 4, 2017.
- ᐃᓛᒃ ᓱᓕᔪᕆᔭᐅᓕᕈᓐᓇᕐᑐᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᑕᐅᒪᔪᑦ ᐱᔾᔪᑕᐅᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᑭᖑᕙᕐᑐᓂᒃ ᑐᓂᓯᓂᕐᒧᑦ, ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᑲᒪᒋᓛᙱᑕᖏᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ ᑐᓂᔭᐅᓐᓂᖏᑉᐸᑕ ᑭᖑᕙᕋᑎᒃ.
- ᐱᑕᖃᕆᐊᖃᕐᓂᖏᑦ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᑕᐅᒪᔪᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᑲᔪᕈᑏᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᐊᑐᕐᓂᖃᙱᑦᑐᖅ ᐃᓄᑐᐊᓄᑦ ᑭᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓄᑦ.
- ᐊᓯᓕᒫᖏᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᔪᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕈᑎᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓂᒃ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᐱᑕᖃᕆᐊᖃᕐᓂᖓ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐊᑐᙱᑦᑐᖅ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓄᑦ ᐊᒥᓲᓂᕐᓴᓂᒃ 10 ᒪᑉᐱᕐᑐᒐᓕᓐᓄᑦ, ᐃᒪᐃᑐᐊᕐᐸᑦ ᐊᑐᓂᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕈᑏᑦ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑦ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᑕᐅᒪᙱᑦᑐᑦ ᐱᑕᖃᕐᐸᑕ ᓱᓕᔪᓂᒃ, ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᓇᐃᓈᕈᑎᓂᒃ (ᖃᓪᓗᓈᑎᑐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ) ᒪᒡᕉᓐᓂᒃ (2) ᒪᑉᐱᕐᑐᒑᓐᓂᒃ.
- 6. ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᐃᑉᐱᒍᓱᓐᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᐃᓘᓐᓇᑎᒃ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᑦ ᑕᒡᕗᖓ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᓚᒃᑲᕐᑕᖏᑦ ᑖᒃᑯᐊ ᑭᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓄᑦ ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᒐᓗᐊᕐᒪᖔᑕ, ᐃᓱᒪᒋᓗᒋᑦ ᐊᑐᕐᑐᑦ ᒪᐅᖓᑐᐃᓐᓈᕆᐊᖃᖖᒋᓐᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑲᖖᒍᓇᕐᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐃᓱᒫᓗᒍᑏ.
- 7. ᓇᓪᓕᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᑭᒡᒐᖓᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐱᓕᕆᔨᖓᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑯᑦ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ, ᓇᓪᓕᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᐊᖑᓇᓱᒃᑏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᒥᑭᒋᐊᕐᓂᐊᕐᑏᑦ ᑎᒥᖏᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᕕᑦᑐᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔩᑦ ᑎᒥᖏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑭᓇᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᐃᓄᒃ ᑐᓂᔭᐅᓂᐊᕐᐳᖅ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᐅᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ.
- 8. ᐃᓛᒃ ᖃᐃᖅᑯᔭᐅᒪᙱᒃᑯᑎᒃ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᐅᓂᕐᒥᒃ, ᐊᓯᓕᒫᖏᑦ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᑕᐃᔭᐅᒍᒪᔪᑦ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᐅᓂᕐᒥᒃ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᒋᐊᓖᑦ ᓈᒻᒪᑦᑐᓂᒃ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑎᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑎᒍᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓄᑦ.
 “ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕈᑏᑦ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑦ” ᐅᖃᐅᓯᓕᒃ ᐊᑕᐅᓯᕐᒥᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᒥᓲᓂᕐᓴᓂᒃ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕈᑎᒥᓂᕐᓂᒃ, ᑎᑎᕋᕐᑕᐅᒪᔪᓂᒃ, ᐃᓱᒪᒍᑕᐅᔪᓂᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓂᒃ ᐃᒻᒥᒃᑰᕐᑐᓂᒃ ᐃᓅᑉ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔭᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃ, ᑐᓂᔭᓂᒃ ᐃᓚᐅᑎᑕᐅᓪᓗᑎᒃ ᓇᓗᓇᙱᒍᑎᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᐃᕙᒍᑎᓄᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕐᑐᒋᑦ ᑖᑦᓱᒪ ᐃᓅᑉ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᖏᓐᓄᑦ.