NWMB in-person public hearing to consider the Government of Nunavut Proposal on the revised Nunavut Polar Bear Co-Management Plan
July 20th, 2018
THE PURPOSE of this Nunavut Wildlife Management Board (NWMB) in-person public hearing is to consider the Government of Nunavut- Department of Environment’s Proposal for Decision to the Board (Proposal) seeking approval of the Nunavut Polar Bear Co-Management Plan. The Proposal, along with other documents comprising the best available information to date, is available for review or download from the NWMB’s website (www.nwmb.com).
ᔪᓚᐃ 20, 2018
ᐊᑑᑎᒋᔭᖓ ᐆᒪ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᑦᔪᐊᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᖏᑦ (ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ) ᑕᑯᓐᓇᖃᑎᒌᓪᓗᑎᒃ ᑭᒃᑯᓕᒫᓂᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᑲᒪᒋᓗᒋᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑯᑦ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ-ᐱᓕᕆᒡᕕᖓᑦ ᐊᕙᑎᓕᕆᔩᑦ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑦ ᐃᓱᒪᓕᐅᕈᒻᒥᒃ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᓄᑦ (ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑦ) ᐱᒐᓱᐊᕈᑦ ᐊᖏᕐᑕᐅᒍᑎᓂᒃ ᐅᑯᓂᖓ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ ᓇᓄᕐᓂᒃ ᐊᐅᓚᑦᓯᖃᑎᒌᓐᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐸᕐᓇᒍᑏᑦ. ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑦ ᐃᓚᖃᕐᑐᓂ ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓂᒃ ᐱᑕᖃᕈᑕᐅᔪᓂ ᓈᒻᒪᓂᕐᐹᓂᒃ ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓂᒃ ᑐᓴᕋᑦᓴᓂᒃ ᐅᓪᓗᒥᒧᑦ, ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᕗᒃ ᕿᒥᒡᕈᔭᐅᒍᓐᓇᕐᑐᑎᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐱᔭᐅᒍᓐᓇᕐᑐᑎᒃ ᐅᕙᖖᒐᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑦ ᐊᓚᒃᑲᐅᒪᒡᕕᖓᑦ (www.nwmb.com).
- The NWMB (the Board) shall provide notice to the public at least thirty (30) days prior to the deadline for filing hearing submissions.
- Any interested person or body may file with the Board a written submission and supporting documentation in response to the Proposal for approval of the Nunavut Polar Bear Co-Management Plan– duly translated into Inuktitut or English as the case may be—by no later than 5:00 p.m. (Iqaluit time) on October 12th, 2018.
- Unless persuasive written and translated reasons are provided to the Board for late filing, the Board will not consider materials for this hearing that are not filed on time.
- The requirements for translation of submissions and supporting documentation filed with the Board does not apply to individual members of the public.
- For all others who file supporting documentation with the Board, the requirement for translation does not apply to such documents over ten (10) pages in length, as long as each supporting document that is not translated is accompanied by a concise, translated summary (English and Inuktitut) at least two (2) pages in length.
- The Board shall ensure that all materials filed with it or produced by it are made publicly available, subject to relevant confidentiality or privacy concerns.
- The NWMB shall provide simultaneous English and Inuktitut translation at the hearing, to the extent reasonably possible.
- A quorum of NWMB members shall be present at the hearing.
- Any representative or agent of the Government of Canada or Government of Nunavut, any Hunters and Trappers Organization or Regional Wildlife Organization, and any Inuk shall be accorded the status of party for the hearing.
- Unless invited by the Board to be a party, any other person or body wishing to be named as a party by the Board shall make an appropriate request in writing to the Board.
- All parties and other participants at the hearing are required to treat one another and the NWMB with respect.
- The NWMB shall provide a reasonable opportunity for oral presentations from each of the parties at the hearing by their choice of official, expert or counsel.
- Any member of the NWMB, the NWMB’s Director of Wildlife or the NWMB’s Legal Counsel may ask relevant questions of any other party at the hearing.
- Any party may ask relevant questions of any other party at the hearing.
- The NWMB shall provide members of the public in attendance at the hearing a reasonable opportunity to make statements and to ask questions of the parties and the NWMB.
- Every person at the hearing wishing to speak or ask a question shall raise his or her hand, and shall only speak once the NWMB Chairperson has recognized him or her.
- The NWMB Chairperson reserves the right to place reasonable time limits on presentations, statements and questions.
- The NWMB shall make an audio recording of the hearing available upon request.
 “Supporting documentation” refers to one or more studies, articles, opinions or other documents separate from a person’s or organization’s written submission, filed as additional evidence and/or arguments in support of that person’s or organization’s submission.
- ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᓄᓇᕕᒃᒥ ᑕᕆᐅᕐᒥᐅᑕᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ (ᑲᑎᒪᔩᑦ) ᑐᓂᓯᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᑐᓴᕐᑎᑦᓯᒍᒻᒥᒃ ᑭᒃᑯᓕᒫᓂᒃ ᑐᖔᓂᐅᙱᑦᑐᖅ ᐊᕙᑎᓪᓗ ᖁᓕᓪᓗ (30) ᐅᓪᓗᐃᑦ ᓯᕗᕐᖓᒍᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᓯᒪᒡᕕᐅᒋᐊᓕᐅᑉ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃ.
- ᑭᓇᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᖃᐅᔨᒪᒍᒪᔪᖅ ᐃᓄᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᒍᓐᓇᕐᐳᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᓄᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕈᑎᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓂᒃ ᑭᒡᒍᑕᐅᔪᓂᒃ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᒻᒧᑦ ᐊᖏᕐᑕᐅᒍᑎᓄᑦ ᐅᑯᓂᖓ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ ᓇᓄᕐᓂᒃ ᐊᐅᓚᑦᓯᖃᑎᒌᓐᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐸᕐᓇᒍᑏᑦ - ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᑦᓯᐊᕐᓗᒋᑦ ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᖃᓪᓗᓈᑎᑐᑦ ᓇᓪᓕᐅᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ - ᑎᑭᖖᒋᓐᓂᖓᓂ 5:00 ᐅᓐᓄᓴᒃᑯᑦ (ᐃᖃᓗᐃᑦ/ᐃᓄᒃᔪᐊᖅ ᓯᕿᖖᒍᔭᖓᑐᑦ) ᐅᓇ ᐅᑦᑑᐱᕆ 12, 2018.
- ᐃᓛᒃ ᓱᓕᔪᕆᔭᐅᓕᕈᓐᓇᕐᑐᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᑕᐅᒪᔪᑦ ᐱᔾᔪᑕᐅᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᓄᑦ ᑭᖑᕙᕐᑐᓂᒃ ᑐᓂᓯᓂᕐᒧᑦ, ᑲᑎᒪᔩᑦ ᑲᒪᒋᓛᙱᑕᖏᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ ᑐᓂᔭᐅᓐᓂᖏᑉᐸᑕ ᑭᖑᕙᕋᑎᒃ.
- ᐱᑕᖃᕆᐊᖃᕐᓂᖏᑦ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᑕᐅᒪᔪᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᑲᔪᕈᑏᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᓄᑦ ᐊᑐᕐᓂᖃᙱᑦᑐᖅ ᐃᓄᑐᐊᓄᑦ ᑭᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓄᑦ.
- ᐊᓯᓕᒫᖏᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᔪᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕈᑎᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓂᒃ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᓄᑦ, ᐱᑕᖃᕆᐊᖃᕐᓂᖓ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐊᑐᙱᑦᑐᖅ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓄᑦ ᐊᒥᓲᓂᕐᓴᓂᒃ 10 ᒪᑉᐱᕐᑐᒐᓕᓐᓄᑦ, ᐊᑐᓂᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕈᑏᑦ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑦ ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᑕᐅᒪᙱᑦᑐᑦ ᐱᑕᖃᕐᐸᑕ ᓱᓕᔪᓂᒃ, ᑐᑭᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᓇᐃᓈᕈᑎᓂᒃ (ᖃᓪᓗᓈᑎᑐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ) ᒪᒡᕉᓐᓂᒃ (2) ᒪᑉᐱᕐᑐᒑᓐᓂᒃ.
- 6. ᑲᑎᒪᔩᑦ ᐃᑉᐱᒍᓱᓐᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᐃᓘᓐᓇᑎᒃ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑐᓂᔭᑦ ᑕᒡᕗᖓ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᓚᒃᑲᕐᑕᖏᑦ ᑖᒃᑯᐊ ᑭᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓄᑦ ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᒐᓗᐊᕐᒪᖔᑕ, ᐃᓱᒪᒋᓗᒋᑦ ᐊᑐᕐᑐᑦ ᒪᐅᖓᑐᐃᓐᓈᕆᐊᖃᖖᒋᓐᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑲᖖᒍᓇᕐᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐃᓱᒫᓗᒍᑏ.
- ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᐱᑕᖃᒃᑲᐃᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᑕᒡᕙᓴᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᖃᓪᓗᓈᑎᑐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᓄᑦᑎᑐᑦ ᑐᓵᔨᖃᒃᑲᐃᓂᕐᒥᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ, ᑎᑭᐅᑎᓗᒍ ᐊᔪᕐᓇᖏᓐᓂᖓ.
- ᓈᒻᒪᑦᓯᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓂ ᑲᑎᒪᔩᑦ ᐅᐸᑦᓯᒪᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ.
- ᓇᓪᓕᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᑭᒡᒐᖓᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐱᓕᕆᔨᖓᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᓐᑯᑦ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ, ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᖑᓇᓱᒃᑏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᒥᑭᒋᐊᕐᓂᐊᕐᑏᑦ ᑎᒥᖏᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᕕᑦᑐᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂ ᓄᓇᕗᑦᒥ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔩᑦ ᑎᒥᖏᑦ, ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑭᓇᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᐃᓄᒃ ᑐᓂᔭᐅᓂᐊᕐᐳᖅ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᐅᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ.
- ᐃᓛᒃ ᖃᐃᖅᑯᔭᐅᒪᙱᒃᑯᑎᒃ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᓄᑦ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᐅᓂᕐᒥᒃ, ᐊᓯᓕᒫᖏᑦ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᑕᐃᔭᐅᒍᒪᔪᑦ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᐅᓂᕐᒥᒃ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᓄᑦ ᑐᓂᓯᒋᐊᓖᑦ ᓈᒻᒪᑦᑐᓂᒃ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᐅᑎᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑎᒍᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᓄᑦ.
- ᐃᓘᓐᓇᑎᒃ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᓯᖏᑦ ᐱᖃᑕᐅᔪᑦ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ ᐱᑦᓯᐊᖃᑦᑕᐅᑎᒋᐊᓖᖅᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓂᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᓯᐊᕐᓗᑎᒃ.
- ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᐱᑕᖃᒃᑲᐃᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᓈᒻᒪᕐᑐᒥᒃ ᐱᕕᑦᓴᐅᔪᒥᒃ ᐅᖃᐅᓯᒃᑯᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃᒥᒃ ᐊᑐᓂᑦ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᓂᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ ᓂᕈᐊᕐᑕᖓᓄᑦ ᐱᓕᕆᔨᒧᑦ, ᖃᐅᔨᒪᔪᒻᒪᕆᒻᒧᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᒪᓕᒐᓕᕆᔨᒧᑦ.
- ᓇᓪᓕᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᑲᑎᒪᔨ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓂ, ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓂ ᑐᑭᒧᐊᕐᑎᑦᓯᔨ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᒪᓕᒐᓕᒋᔨᖓᑦ ᐊᐱᖅᓱᕈᓐᓇᕐᑐᑦ ᓇᓪᓕᐊᓐᓂᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᒥᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ.
- ᓇᓪᓕᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᖅ ᐊᐱᖅᓱᕈᓐᓇᕐᑐᖅ ᓇᓪᓕᐊᓐᓂᑐᐃᓐᓇᖅ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᒥᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ.
- ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᒧᐊᑦ ᐱᑕᖃᒃᑲᐃᓂᐊᕐᐳᑦ ᐃᓚᐅᔪᓄᑦ ᑭᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓄᑦ ᐅᐸᑦᓯᒪᔪᓄᑦ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒥ ᓈᒻᒪᑦᑐᒥᒃ ᐱᕕᑦᓴᐅᔪᒥᒃ ᐅᖃᓕᒪᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᐱᖅᓱᓂᒥᕐᒧᑦ ᑲᒪᖃᑕᓂᒃ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᓂᒃ.
- ᐃᓘᓐᓇᑎᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒦᑦᑐᑦ ᐅᖃᕈᒪᔪᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᐱᖅᓱᕈᒪᔪᑦ ᐃᓵᒋᐊᓖᑦ ᑕᓕᕐᒥᓂᒃ, ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐅᖃᓕᑕᐃᓐᓇᕐᓗᑎᒃ ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᐃᑦᓯᕙᐅᑕᖓᑕ ᑕᐃᑉᐸᒋᑦ.
- ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᒧᐊᑦ ᐃᑦᓯᕙᐅᑕᖓᑦ ᐃᓱᒪᕐᓱᕐᐳᖅ ᐊᔪᖖᒋᒍᑎᒥᓂᒃ ᐃᓕᓯᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᓈᒻᒪᑦᑐᓂᒃ ᐱᕕᑦᓴᐅᔪᑦ ᑭᓪᓕᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᕐᒧᑦ, ᐅᖃᓕᒪᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᐱᖅᓱᓂᕐᒧᑦ.
- ᐆᒪᔪᓕᕆᔨᕐᔪᐊᑦ ᓂᐱᓕᐅᕐᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᓈᓚᑦᑎᑦᓯᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᑎᑦᓯᓂᐊᕐᑐᑦ ᑐᑦᓯᕋᕐᑐᖃᕐᐸᑦ.
 “ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕈᑏᑦ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᑦ” ᐅᖃᐅᓯᓕᒃ ᐊᑕᐅᓯᕐᒥᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᒥᓲᓂᕐᓴᓂᒃ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕈᑎᒥᓂᕐᓂᒃ, ᑎᑎᕋᕐᑕᐅᒪᔪᓂᒃ, ᐃᓱᒪᒍᑕᐅᔪᓂᒃ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᑎᑎᖅᑲᓂᒃ ᐃᒻᒥᒃᑰᕐᑐᓂᒃ ᐃᓅᑉ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕐᓯᒪᔭᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᓂᒃ, ᑐᓂᔭᓂᒃ ᐃᓚᐅᑎᑕᐅᓪᓗᑎᒃ ᓇᓗᓇᙱᒍᑎᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᐊᐃᕙᒍᑎᓄᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᑐᕐᑐᒋᑦ ᑖᑦᓱᒪ ᐃᓅᑉ ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᑎᒥᐅᔪᑦ ᐅᓂᒃᑳᖏᓐᓄᑦ.